Saturday, October 15, 2011

The Digital Age of Comics

Back when the iPad was originally released, I did a mock up of the "iComics Card".
With the recent hoop-la of DC's "52" in September featuring same-time print and digital release, I figure it's time to re-visit this subject. Let's start with the 'Age' of American Comic Books:

1. The Golden Age (1935 to 1955) a.k.a The Good Old Days Before The Code
2. The Silver Age (1956 -1970) a.k.a. The Age of the Code
3. The Bronze Age (1971 - 1985) a.k.a The Code Relaxes and Contemplates Retirement
4. The Modern Age (1986 - 2011) a.k.a. Code Breakers and The Direct Distribution System

And now...

5. The Digital Age (2011- ...)

Oh sure, I'm aware that web comics have been around for a couple of decades now and that smaller companies have sold online versions of their comics before DC, but this is something quite revolutionary in comics. One of the big two is releasing their entire line digitally at the same time as the print version. And they're throwing in some back issues too.

I still agree with Scott McCloud (who's been right all these years).
Web comics should be different from print comics.
And isn't this simply DC putting their print comics online?
So what's new? Where's the "revolution"?

Getting readers to PAY for a digital comic.

If DC is able to establish a viable revenue stream with their digital downloads, this will begin the true age of digital comics. Innovation will come if there's a market. And prices will come down, don't worry.

Let's hope.

2 comments:

  1. I stumbled across your blog last night and I loved it so much I went back to the beginning and started reading every post. It's really inspiring for a novice writer/illustrator to find someone so passionate about the medium.

    Thanks for being awesome, and keep writing, I'll keep reading. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for commenting. I know it's been forever since I've updated, but I've posted an interesting discussion on the CBR forums:
    http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?449869-DC-You-Need-FanFic&p=16876304#post16876304

    ReplyDelete